Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Forceps

I got to see forceps last morning when I had my fourth overnight shift...
At first, Wendy(the midwife I was shadowing) called me saying that Dr Speirs would like me to be in the delivery suite with him!!I was delighted that Dr Speirs (whom I have yet to meet at that time)...is looking for a med student n that med student is me??When I went into the suite, I saw there were a few people waiting for the birth of the first baby of the family..I actually thought that it was kinda funny that he actually asked me to put on the boots, the same kind that he was wearing...n the midwife said,"Owh...the boots..Bryce likes to wear those(Bryce is his first name).."
Unfortunately,the baby's head just wouldn't slide into the forceps n Dr Speirs taught me an important lesson,"Don't ever force the forceps!"
In the end, I went into theatre and as usual, I offered my hand to take the family pictures!!The 3.8kg baby is named Callayn Josh M*************(he has a 14 letter surname which I didn't even try to memorize n I'm trying to maintain his privacy)

When the sun started to come out and my shift comes to an end, the other patient that I was managing reached her second stage of labour...After an hour of pushing, Dr Ford started to worry that the baby might be compromised as her heart rate is increasing and they finally decided that forceps is the way to go...(yayy..I finally get to see forceps delivery!!)..

Dr Ford had to do an episiotomy and I assisted her by holding the Sims speculum when she was suturing..after explaining to the patient about what has happened, Dr Ford had a debrief with where she explained to me about the suturing she made and she taught me an interesting pneumonic..Forceps Rule:

Back to back
Toes in the air
Right over left
Consider it a pair
Right hand down
Left blade on your hand only patient's left side...

(she actually wrote this down on a paper for me)


I know it's hard to imagine this when U don't have the forceps in front of you..hehe..
I hope I'd be able to put the forceps the next time I'm asked to!!

1 comment:

  1. kitorg aritu ade lecturer tnjuk video2 org branak .sume omputih pnye. aku pun wonder la, apsal ek, aku tgk minah saleh beranak mcm senang gile compare ngn org2 kite ni.cam kat sini byk gile darah kuar but dlm video diorg tu takde mane pun. dahla bile kuar tu baby punye la besar. haha. so dgn post ko ni membuktikan assumption aku salah.

    ReplyDelete