Thursday, February 26, 2009

Mistaken

I was scared to go to Dr Lee's clinic today as I didn't go to the hospital last Tuesday and do the presentation which Dr Lee had asked me to...I made sure that I brought my stethoscope along as Dr Lee had given Peter a hard time when he forgot to bring his...

Dr Lee asked me to sit in Consulting Room 2 while he is in Consulting Room 1...he sends his patient to me to take their history, BP, examine the tummy and take fetal heart rate while he attends to another patient...after I'm finished, he would come and ask me to present the case and he double-checks if I managed to get the correct fetal lie and presentation..I was right in 7 out of 10 patients...counting the patient who's carrying a twin in her tummy which I failed to reckonize until she told me so...I was surprised that when I measured her symphysis-fundal-height(SFH) which happened to be 42cm when she's only 36 weeks pregnant(SFH is usually equal to no. of weeks)..btw,she was my first patient of the day!

As Dr Lee had been sending me his antenatal patients, I assumed he would continue the trend so I'm sort of getting used to ask the patient how many weeks are they into the pregnancy...until this patient came with a baby in a stroller and I asked the same question without thinking....she was like, "No..no..I'm not pregnant...he's 3 months old..she showed me her baby"...I was really embarrassed and I just apologize to her for my stupidity...and I thought I managed to cover that up when we had a chat about her presenting complaint and her cute baby boy...

Dr Lee came later and he examined her tummy which she had been complaining of pain...she had a caesarean section and the examination revealed that there were no signs of inflammation and the scars is healing well...she said she had been taking Panadeine Forte and she couldn't do anything without it...she had 3 other daughters and 2 of them is 2 and 3 years old...Dr Lee confirmed my suspicion of post-natal depression as she doesn't seem to be coping well...

Later on, when Dr Lee's receptionist came into my room to give me a patient's file, she reminded me to read the patient's file first before I start talking to them..she said, "Don't just ask the patients how many weeks they are, because the last one complains.."I told her I'm sorry...I think she really was pissed off with me...I know I should have felt bad for my own mistake, but I just couldn't accept how she acted...everytime she came into the room giving me the file, she always smile half-heartedly only because I was smiling and keep on saying thanks to her...she seemed to be avoiding my eyes which I found really annoying...

Anyway, all in all....Dr Lee was really nice to me today...I wouldn't expect him to be that nice after what Peter has told me...we even talked about Dr Lee's background, where he came from, which school he went to...apparently he was the 8th batch graduated from UM med school!!I even had a chat with him about politics!!

(I googled Dr Lee yesterday to look for the address of his practice and I was surprised to find a forum where mother-to-be talk about their own experience...there was this lady who asked if anyone had seen Dr Lee and if he is pro-natural..it was funny to know how people talks about their doctors and the impressions they made..it's not just celebrities who need to have good reputation, doctors too...I should mention that there is one patient who complained about Dr Lee's receptionist and she was seconded by another patient..........and now me...)


Apart from that incident, it was a good day for me...I get to practise obstetrics examination, history taking and presenting patient's case)

Things always turns out fine for me when I'm worried most about it...

No comments:

Post a Comment