Sunday, February 22, 2009

Sex

I'm telling you...It doesn't matter...It shouldn't matter...

Although..being born in a family of girls, I always wish I have a brother..an older brother would be great but a younger brother is fine too...Somehow I secretly hope that I have an older brother that I haven't met..(maybe like Peyton in One Tree Hill)..he doesn't have to a biological brother..he might be a brother whom I've fed from the same breast...as long as he is someone I couldn't marry...how cool would that be!!
I don't detest anyone who would want a son after giving birth to 3 daughters or the other way around..but I couldn't accept the fact that there are some people who would only want sons but not daughters..

The other day, I had a chat with a patient that I was managing...while I took her blood pressure, I heard her telling me that she's a muslim too..of course I expected her to be one as I had read her file which stated that she is an Afghan...I even wondered if she's a Hazara or a Pashtun...I've just read 'Kite Runner' which I thought one of the best book I've read if not the best...as the setting is in Afghanistan, I've learnt a few facts about Afghans and I have to say I'm excited to meet an Afghan and talk about their culture and life over there, pre and post Taliban era....
Anyway, I figured she might have mixed-blood..as her mother looks like how I pictured a Hazara would, but she doesn't...

As she wasn't in too much pain, I thought it was a good idea to stay in her room and have a chat with her...she told me this is her second child..she has a daughter and this one is gonna be a girl too..I told her that I have 2 siblings, both are girls...She said to me, "U know in Muslim country they don't like to have a girl..."
How can she as Muslim say that?I would felt differently if that's what a non-muslim perceived...
I told her that's not what I experienced in Malaysia...and I don't think that it's Islamic teaching...
After a few minutes I left her room, with my mind still thinking of her words, her perception about her own religion...I know it's not her fault...It's what the male-dominant society taught her and makes her into believing...the religion doesn't teach men to oppress women...it's the culture people!!I hate it when people mix cultural and religious beliefs...and the non-muslims assume that the religion is the culprit..and those women who succumbed to their own culture think that way too...for that same reason, I always avoid reading books written by Muslim women even though they are listed as best-sellers..I don't want to listen to words coming from those who thinks they are being oppressed and couldn't care less about learning Islam from it's roots...they should criticise the culture created by man, not Islam!

A few days after, I had a chat with Catherine and she told me her sister used to live in Jordan where both her daughters were born...She told me it was funny how when the baby was delivered, the people over there kept saying to them how sorry they are the fact that she had a girl instead of a boy...she even had to tell them that they are happy to have a girl..and still, they would say,"It's good that u're happy, but, try again!!"...when I told Catherine that it wasn't prophet Muhammad's teaching, even she agrees with me!!I felt frustrated thinking how a Muslim woman can be confused about her own religious teaching but a Christian could tell which one is culture and which one is religion??

4 comments:

  1. omg, hate that kind of perception..every child is a blessing, no matter what gender..
    ingat ni zaman jahiliyah lagi ke??
    hah

    ReplyDelete
  2. frustrating kan..
    u're happy when u met a muslim in a foreign land but the next thing u know she doesn't share the same view with u...

    ReplyDelete